In an effort to make parents more aware of online safety, everyday this week, we will be posting tips on how to keep your kids safe online. Please take the time to read the tips and share them with other parents. Remember Knowledge is Power!!!
Tips for keeping your kids safe online:
- Establish clear boundaries for online usage. Teach your children to never reveal private information such as address, phone number or where they attend school, and make it a strict rule to never send photos of themselves to, or chat with, strangers.
- Limit the time your child spends on the internet.
- Keep family computers in public areas of your home.
- Install antivirus software on your computer.
- Adjust your computer’s web browser Security Settings to block pop-ups and location-sharing options.
- Set Parental Controls using a program like Windows Live Family Safety, a free program which allows you to restrict websites, games and downloads.
- Make it a habit to view the browser History on a regular basis to monitor the sites your child is visiting.
- Talk to your kids! Make them aware of why you have rules about their internet usage, and tell them what to watch for.
Links to help protect your family online:
Windows Live Family Safety – http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Protecting-your-kids-with-Family-Safety
Norton Antivirus- http://www.symantec.com/index.jsp
How to set Browser Security – http://www.ehow.com/how_6437247_set-browser-security-settings.html